Hubby is a Dr Oz fan and faithfully watches everyday before heading to work. Then he researches the ideas online and if it is a supplement that could help one of us – he buys it. Does it make me crazy – YES! My linen closet looks like a mini vitamin shop.
So, several months ago, Dr. Oz talked about the benefits of drinking warm water with lemon first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. To say the least, I was skeptical that it could help my IBS. Nothing has seemed to help so I didn’t bother and just pushed the idea aside.
Last week at the doctor, we were discussing some new meds that might help the IBS. Doc suggested something natural that many of his patients were trying – that worked. Okay, I am game at this point. Guess what it was? YUP – warm water and lemon first thing in the AM. UGH! I got the “I told you so” look from hubby. I laughed because I had just bought lemons at the store to try this exact thing.
So with apprehension, I tried it. I followed it with my usual cup of coffee. Guess what it WORKED! Okay, so once I figure is just luck but after almost a week of doing it…the results are the same EVERY day. WOOHOO! I am one excited girl!
I wanted to share with the MANY benefits of just a 1/2 cup of lukewarm water with the juice of a lemon slice:
1) Aids Digestion. Lemon juice flushes out unwanted materials and toxins from the body. It balances maintain the pH levels in the body. Lemons are also high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen ama, or toxins, in the digestive tract. Lemon juice helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating. The American Cancer Society actually recommends offering warm lemon water to cancer sufferers to help stimulate bowel movements.
2) Cleanses Your System / is a Diuretic. Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body and helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
3) Boosts Your Immune System. Great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
4) Balances pH Levels. Drinking lemon water regularly can help to remove overall acidity in the body, including uric acid in the joints, which is one of the primary causes of pain and inflammation.
5) Clears Skin. Helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes and is vital for healthy glowing skin.
6) Energizes You and Enhances Your Mood. Provides your body with more energy when it enters the digestive tract. The smell of lemon juice can brighten your mood and help clear your mind. Lemon can also help reduce anxiety and depression.
7) Promotes Healing. Promotes wound healing, and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage as well as displaying anti-inflammatory properties.
8) Freshens Breath. Besides fresher breath, lemons have been known to help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis.
9) Hydrates Your Lymph System. Warm water and lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body.
10) Aids in Weight Loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.
Health benefits are courtesy of www.positivehealthwellness.com.
So, was this enough to convince you to try a cup of lukewarm water and lemon in the morning? Which of these benefits excite you the most???
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!