Thank you Hungry Girl for another tempting recipe. I am going to make this one for dinner next week. Hubby is trying to eat the same as me with all of the limitations so we shall see what the outcome is…
I don’t know about you but I am a HUGE fan of larger portions with small calorie counts. Veggies and lean protein are perfect especially on this new limited eating plan.
I can’t get over a massive hunk has just 211 calories…
Stats: 1/4th of recipe: 211 calories, 5.5g total fat (2.5g sat fat), 709mg sodium, 27g carbs, 6g fiber, 11.5g sugars, 14.5g protein — SmartPoints™ value 3*
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 1 hour and 25 minutes Cool: 10 minutes
1 spaghetti squash (at least 4 1/2 lbs.)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 1/2 oz. (about 24 slices) turkey pepperoni, chopped
1/2 cup (about 4 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 tbsp. chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large pie pan with nonstick spray.
- Microwave squash for 6 minutes, or until soft enough to cut. Once cool enough to handle, halve lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Fill a large baking pan with 1/2 inch water and place squash halves in the pan, cut sides down.
- Bake until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and 1/4 tsp. each onion powder and garlic powder. Cook and stir until veggies have slightly softened and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven, but leave oven on. Use a fork to scrape out spaghetti squash strands. Place in a strainer to drain excess moisture.
- Thoroughly blot dry, removing as much moisture as possible. Transfer 5 cups squash strands to a large bowl. (Reserve any extra squash for another time.)
- Add remaining 1 tsp. each onion powder and garlic powder to the bowl. Add canned crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepperoni, egg whites/substitute, and cooked veggies. Mix thoroughly. Transfer mixture to the pie pan and smooth out the surface.
- Bake until slightly firm, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, olives, and basil. Bake until cheese has melted and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
MAKES 4 SERVINGS
This is a great pack and go lunch for work (if there are leftovers). Try one of Thirty One Gifts’ lunch thermals – five choices to fit whatever you take for lunch….
Can’t wait to hear what you think of this dish.
Have a ThirtyOne-deful day!