Thank you Hungry Girl for another AMAZING recipe….
Serving size: 1/8th of recipe (about 1 cup): 213 calories, 4g total fat (1.5g sat fat), 647mg sodium, 18g carbs, 5.5g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 26g protein — SmartPoints™ value 3* Makes 8 servings.
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 3 – 4 hours on high or 7 – 8 hours on low, plus 55 minutes
1 1/2 lbs. raw boneless skinless chicken breast
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped onion
One 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
One 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
One 4-oz. can diced green chiles, drained
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
5 cups roughly chopped cauliflower
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
Optional seasonings: additional salt and black pepper
- Place chicken in a slow cooker, and season with pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Top with onion, beans, tomatoes, and green chiles.
- Add broth and seasonings, including remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Gently stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 7 – 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked.
- Transfer chicken to a large bowl. Shred with two forks — one to hold the chicken in place and the other to scrape across and shred it. Return shredded chicken to the slow cooker, and mix well.
- Pulse cauliflower in a blender until reduced to rice-sized pieces, working in batches as needed. Add cauliflower rice to the slow cooker, and stir to mix.
- If cooking on low heat, increase heat to high.
- Cover and cook for 55 minutes, or until cauliflower rice is tender.
- Serve with a slotted spoon, draining the liquid. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tbsp. cheese.
Here are some other ways to enjoy this Recipe:
On a salad: Spoon a serving over a pile of chopped romaine or shredded iceberg (or your lettuce of choice). So much flavor, you won’t even need dressing!
In a whole-wheat tortilla: Wrap it up, burrito style. Look for natural tortillas with low calorie counts, like La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Organic Tortillas.
In lettuce cups: Crisp lettuce leaves are the perfect vehicle for a shredded-chicken dish. Go for medium-large leaves from a round head of lettuce, like iceberg or butter lettuce.
Omelette style: Cook up an egg-white “pancake” in a skillet, and wrap it around your chicken goodies. Or just scramble your whites, and stir in the chicken. Now that’s how you get a burrito fix at breakfast…
Why not cook a batch up and portion it out for meals, then freeze it for lunches. OR make a batch and take it to your next “potluck dinner”. Headed out to a tailgate or a potluck dinner, why not keep it hot in Thirty One’s Fresh Market Tote.
This roomy thermal can fit up to two 9×13 pans inside or a crock pot, so it’s perfect for potlucks and family picnics! It also has expandable sides just the right size to fit 2-liter bottles inside. Plus, it comes with long handles so it’s super easy to carry! Approx. 10.5″H x 15.5″L x 10″D (snapped down); 15″H (when top is expanded) Make sure you personalize it so you be sure to get it back.
Share your favorite recipe with us. Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!