Thank you Hungry Girl for another AWESOME recipe. The farmer markets are open and veggies are fresh. What better way to enjoy them then with some protein. I’m not usually one to run the oven this long in the summer but it is sooooo worth it.
All the things you crave about chicken and eggplant Parmesan, in one big melty dish… Super yum!
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 1 hour and 10 minutes Cool: 10 minutes
1/4th of pan (4″ X 4″): 350 calories, 12g total fat (5.5g sat fat), 814mg sodium, 14.5g carbs, 6g fiber, 7.5g sugars, 45.5g protein — SmartPoints™ value 6*
1 large eggplant (about 20 oz.), ends removed
Four 5-oz. boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets, pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 2 baking sheets and an 8″ X 8″ baking pan with nonstick spray.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt, and lay on one of the baking sheets.
- Lay chicken cutlets on the other baking sheet, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Bake eggplant and chicken for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, combine these ingredients in a medium bowl: tomatoes, 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning, and 1/2 tsp. each garlic powder and onion powder. Mix well.
- Remove chicken from oven.
- Flip eggplant, and bake until lightly browned and mostly softened, about 12 minutes. Remove sheet, but leave oven on.
- Evenly layer the following ingredients in the baking pan: 1/4th of the sauce, half of the eggplant slices, another 1/4th of the sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 2 tbsp. Parm, and another 1/4th of the sauce. Evenly top with cooked chicken.
- Continue layering with remaining eggplant slices, sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 2 tbsp. Parm.
- Cover pan with foil, and bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Uncover and bake until cheese has completely melted and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!