I know it is Thursday but since it was a holiday, I decided to change things up a bit. This is another YUMMY Hungry Girl recipe. Do you want to be the talk of your potluck brunch? Show up with a platter of these egg-scramble egg rolls, and you’ll achieve legendary status. Of course, they’re also excellent for weekday mornings at home…
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 40 minutes MAKES 3 SERVINGS
1/3rd of recipe (2 egg rolls): 290 calories, 8g total fat (4g sat fat), 833mg sodium, 34g carbs, 2g fiber, 3.5g sugars, 19.5g protein. SmartPoints® value 8*
2 frozen meatless or turkey sausage patties with 80 calories or less (like the kind by MorningStar Farms or Jimmy Dean)
1/3 cup chopped bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup (about 8 large) egg whites or fat-free liquid egg substitute
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
1/3 cup light/reduced-fat cream cheese
6 large square egg roll wrappers (stocked with the refrigerated Asian items in the supermarket)
Optional dips: salsa, ketchup
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. (Refer to package for temp and cook time.) Transfer to a cutting board.
- Clean skillet, if needed. Re-spray, and bring to medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook and stir until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add egg whites/substitute and seasonings. Cook and scramble until veggies are soft and eggs are fully cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer egg scramble to a medium-large bowl.
- Chop or crumble sausage. Fold sausage and cream cheese into egg scramble.
- Lay an egg roll wrapper flat on a dry surface. Evenly distribute about 1/6th of the egg scramble (about 1/3 cup) in a row a little below the center.
- Moisten all four edges by dabbing your fingers in water and going over the edges smoothly. Fold the sides about 3/4 inch toward the middle, to keep filling from falling out. Roll up the wrapper around the mixture and continue to the top. Seal with a dab of water.
- Place on the baking sheet, and repeat to make 5 more egg rolls.
- Spray with nonstick spray. Bake until golden brown, 23 – 25 minutes.
HG Tips: Make these in advance, and reheat in the toaster oven for 3 – 5 minutes. They’re also oddly delicious straight out of the fridge!
Now, remember we suggested taking them to the potluck brunch? What better way to do it then in a Thirty One Perfect Party set. It will keep things hot or cold!
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!