January 31st and the end of the first “J month” of the year. For those of us in direct sales, we have repeatedly been told J months are traditionally NOT good months. I won’t lie – this January was not one of my better ones but it wasn’t bad. I hit my personal minimum and my team hit theirs (barely) so I am okay with it.
Thirty One offered a great opportunity to end December STRONG and to kickstart January with a 4-week Outlet Sale. Every week they added new products to help us make money while helping our customers get GREAT deals. Then things started to fizzle. I struggled with how to transition online parties between the two catalogs. I lost focus. As a result, I think my team lost focus. I know, what does this have to do with building your business, right?
The reality is sometimes we need to go back to basics. Remember the things which helped us during the busy holiday season when business seemed to fall into our laps. We picked up the phone or sent text messages to people when we saw something they were looking for. We shared on social media the things we were loving. We shared family and friends using our products. January hit and things stopped. Yes, we were tired. Yes, we have a life (and maybe a day job and kids) in addition to our DS business. BUT when we find just 20 minutes a day to work our business (or our hobby), we see results.
Another leader posted this quote and I LOVE IT:
Everyday should be an lesson in Empowerment with our teams. Teach a WoMan to fish and so she can feed herself for a lifetime! Don’t hold her captive so you can feel needed.
Don’t have a team – that’s okay. The more you practice this recipe the easier it will be for your team (when you get one) to follow along.
EVERYONE has “stuff” going on in their lives… Full Time jobs, School, Kid(s), illness, social lives, part-time job(s)… EVERYONE has some “excuse”- as to why their business is not moving forward or moving at all….
It’s up to YOU to take the time, 20-31 minutes a day, to work your business or you will not see results. Operating a business or expecting results in ANYTHING takes positive behaviors consistently repeated. Even if you are just doing it for fun (or a hobby), by being consistent you will see results from your hobby. Who knows, it could turn into more???
What are these behaviors in our business you ask?
- Making 3-5 contacts a day for sponsoring (recruiting), booking and selling
- Check your back office for announcements & information Daily to stay up to date
- Make the effort to communicate with your upline (the person who brought you into the business or someone above them)
- Get organized (Search power hour on google and implement it)
- Following Up! With customers, Hostess, potential recruits, people you met last week…
- Be a Walking Billboard- Use the products! Share how they make a difference in your life! Share DON’T sell!
- Get a catalog. Open the catalog. Study and know your catalog! I will admit I don’t know all of the names of the products or the names of our prints BUT I do know where to find them in the catalog. People will understand. They don’t expect you to be a walking catalog of information but they do expect you to know the benefits of the products so you can help meet their needs.
I know this seems so basic but it works. Ask the leaders in your company how they got to be at the top. It wasn’t about “joining at the right time”. It wasn’t about a shortage of consultants in their area. It was about consistently sharing their product with friends and family – not being afraid to step out of their comfort zone.
What is holding you back from moving forward or earning a little bit more money? Are you ready to kick things into gear in February? Smash those inner gremlins who have convinced you January is a sign of things to come.
What is your best tip for being consistent in your business?
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!