Thank you EMILY BITES for this yummy recipe….
This one-pot Beefy American Goulash goes by many names. This is a much better alternative than “hamburger helper”! No matter what you call it, there’s no denying this is classic comfort food. Meaty, saucy and full of juicy tomatoes and hearty macaroni, this savory dish comes together simply and all in one pot (yay, less dishes!). This recipe makes a little over 15 cups total, so each satisfying serving is almost 2 cups! That’s a lot of comfort for just 379 calories or 8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
This is great just the way it is and PLEASE don’t omit the soy sauce, paprika or seasoned salt – they’re necessary for the flavor! Some people add bell peppers or cheese (yuk) or any other kind of veggie.
Nutrition Information: 379 calories, 49 g carbs, 10 g sugars, 7 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 33 g protein, 5 g fiber. Makes: 8 (2 cups) servings . WWSP: 8
2 lbs uncooked 95% lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
2 medium yellow onions, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups water
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (I used gluten free)
1 tablespoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
12 oz uncooked elbow macaroni (I used gluten free)
- Place the ground beef in a large dutch oven and bring over medium heat. Cook, breaking up with a spoon or spatula, until the meat is browned and in small pieces. Drain the grease from the pan.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir together. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, soy sauce, seasoned salt, paprika and black pepper and stir together.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and stir until well combined. Re-cover the pot and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the macaroni is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, stir and remove the bay leaves.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Have leftovers? Why not take them to work with you the next day? Why not try Thirty One’s NEW Lunch Break Thermal Ltd? I know the LunchBreak Thermal is NOT new but this style is…. You can elevate your style with one of our popular lunch thermals in sophisticated fabrics and finishes. Perfectly sized and styled for packing lunch and snacks for work or travel, our roomy insulated cooler bag has a water-resistant thermal lining, zipper closure, extended handle for ease of carrying and chic cotton fabrics. I love the feather personalization because it reminds me of angel wings…. What would your lunch tote say?
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!