- 2 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped, 2 cups
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced into 1/2″ pieces, 1 1/2 cups
- 1 medium onion, diced into 1/2″ pieces, 2 cups
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 Teaspoons chili powder
- 1 – 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can fire roasted chopped tomatoes in sauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt, or to taste (this will vary on type of stock used)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced onion, reserved from above
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Teaspoon minced jalapeno
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Prep the ingredients for the quinoa skillet dish before starting to cook, and set aside 1/4 cup of the diced onion for the Pico de Gallo.
- Preheat a large skillet (13″-15″) over medium high heat. When the pan is hot but not smoking, add the oil along with the zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté stirring often until the veggies have softened but are still crisp tender, about 5 minutes.
- When the veggies have softened, add the cumin and chili powder to the skillet, and stir to mix in. Then add the black beans, quinoa, fire roasted tomatoes, and vegetables stock. Stir to combine and cover the skillet with a lid. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook stirring occasionally until all the liquid has absorbed, and the quinoa is fluffy, 20-25 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, mix together the ingredients for the Pico de Gallo. Season to taste with salt, and set aside to let the flavors blend.
- Stir together all the ingredients for the Avocado Lime Cabbage Slaw, then set it aside until the serving time.
- When the quinoa is done, add the corn and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt, and serve immediately with Pico de Gallo.
What to do with the leftovers???? Pack them up for lunch the next day in one of Thirty One’s AMAZING thermal lunch totes. Sending the kids off with a healthy lunch? Try the Lunch Break Buddy Thermal. This roomy, insulated cooler bag is perfectly sized and styled for packing lunch and snacks for you or the kids, with a water-resistant thermal lining, zipper closure, large front pocket and mesh side bottle pocket. Personalize your lunch bag with an embroidered name, monogram or Icon-It design for school, work or travel.
Did I mention it is on the Retirement list? What does that mean? It will be gone after February 28th….. grab one while you can.
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!