This post first appeared in my blog on March 23, 2015. I have shared it multiple times since them. I still do this every morning (even when I am away).
Over the holidays (okay, so maybe before, a few pounds started to creep back on. I was no longer at my Weight Watcher’s goal weight and I was discouraged. So, what is a girl to do? I re-joined online with Weight Watchers and am embracing the new program. I am now in my second month and it has been a struggle. I could give you a million excuses but the truth is I haven’t been motivated. I have been accountable though so I figure that is a step in the right direction.
One of the things I slacked on was drinking my warm water with lemon first thing in the morning. Yes, before my coffee. Yes on a totally empty stomach. For those who don’t know the wonderful powers of this combination, I will admit I didn’t either until an episode of Dr. Oz.
To say the least, I was skeptical it could help my IBS or my hunger or anything. Then came the second confirmation this could work. We were at the doctor discussing some new meds for IBS. Doc suggested something natural many of his patients were trying – it worked. Okay, I am game at this point. Guess what it was? YUP – warm water and lemon first thing in the AM.
Okay, if one person says it is a duck – you question it. If two people call it a duck, there is a possibility. If 3 people say it, guess what? It is probably a duck.
I heard this saying for years when I was in my early years of recovery. So, I some bought lemons at the store to try this exact thing.
1) Aids Digestion. Lemon juice flushes out unwanted materials and toxins from the body. It balances maintain the pH levels in the body. Lemons are also high in minerals and vitamins and help loosen ama, or toxins, in the digestive tract. Lemon juice helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating. The American Cancer Society actually recommends offering warm lemon water to cancer sufferers to help stimulate bowel movements.
2) Cleanses Your System / is a Diuretic. Lemon juice helps flush out unwanted materials because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body and helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
3) Boosts Your Immune System. Great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
4) Balances pH Levels. Drinking lemon water regularly can help to remove overall acidity in the body, including uric acid in the joints, which is one of the primary causes of pain and inflammation.
5) Clears Skin. Helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes and is vital for healthy glowing skin.
6) Energizes You and Enhances Your Mood. Provides your body with more energy when it enters the digestive tract. The smell of lemon juice can brighten your mood and help clear your mind. Lemon can also help reduce anxiety and depression.
7) Promotes Healing. Promotes wound healing, and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage as well as displaying anti-inflammatory properties.
8) Freshens Breath. Besides fresher breath, lemons have been known to help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis.
9) Hydrates Your Lymph System. Warm water and lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body.
10) Aids in Weight Loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.
Health benefits are courtesy of www..positivehealthwellness.com.
So, was this enough to convince you to try a cup of lukewarm water and lemon in the morning? Which of these benefits excite you the most???
Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!