Last weekend was a heat wave at the Jersey Shore. Temps combined with humidity were over 100 degrees. I actually drove with my windows open until hubby yelled at me…. It seems my MS makes it hard for me to distinguish between hot and cold. So, as I’m driving around with my windows open feeling okay, I was opening myself up for some major problems. You would think I had learned when I couldn’t feel the heat from the stove until I actually touched it and burnt my fingers. Yes, I squirreled. LOL. So back to how to hydrate without JUST drinking water for all those who profess to NOT be water drinkers.
The basics are this: daily fluid intake is defined as the amount of water consumed from foods, plain drinking water, and other beverages. How much you need depends on age, gender, weight, climate you are in, activity levels, and overall health. In addition, your environment plays an important part in your hydration needs. Basically, the goal should be: for men about 125 ounces of fluid per day and women should shoot for about 90 ounces. Don’t panic!!!! I know it sounds like a lot. Roughly 80% of our water intake comes from fluids, while the other 20 percent comes from the foods we eat.
Not a water drinker,,,, here are some ways you can stay hydrated:
1. Start your day with oatmeal. Not only is it hearty and filling, oatmeal is also very hydrating. When oats are cooking, they expand and absorb the water or milk they’re being paired with. I LOVE overnight oats. Served cold, overnight oats pack all the benefits of hot oatmeal with no heat. You can flavor them up and it will taste like you are having dessert for breakfast. As an added boost, sprinkle chia seeds in your overnight oats when preparing, which soak up 10 times their weight in extra liquid and keep you full all morning.
2. Include more moo. According to a study by McMaster University, milk is more hydrating than water or sports drinks due to its source of protein, carbohydrates, calcium, and electrolytes. Bring it on! No a good solution for those who are dairy free.
3. Try carb alternatives. Ditch dry, carb heavy staples like pasta. Opt for zucchini noodles, or zoodles for short, which can contain about 95 percent water. When paired with a tomato sauce, which usually has about 90 percent water, this meal can pack a hydrating and healthy punch. Family not ready for a complete zoodles meal? Mix it up with some pasta, this way they get their favorite and a healthy does of veggies.
4. Sip smoothies. Being on the Wahl’s Diet, I start every morning with a smoothie. I’m sure it is hard to believe for those who know me BUT they actually have been keeping me full for most of the morning. I don’t use yogurt but all the fresh fruit, and veggies it is a tasty, way to stay hydrated. I mix and match LOTS – kale or spinach even carrots with almond milk and then lots of fruit. I use a 1:1 ratio right now but I’m working towards having more veggies then fruit. What is you favorite smoothie combo?
5. Pack your plate with vegetables. Much like smoothies, salads are a great way to give you a hydrating boost. Most lettuce greens contain at least 94 percent water, and that’s before you add any other vegetables. Next time you whip up a salad, include celery, tomatoes, bell peppers, and carrots. Hubby says with as much salad as I eat, my nose is going to start to twitch like a bunny.
6. Slurp soup. When the craving strikes for a filling and hydrating meal, look no further than broth-based soups or gazpacho. Served cold, gazpacho won’t make you break a sweat come summer. Blend cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, and garlic cloves for this satisfying soup.
7. Freeze your fruit. Feeling nostalgic about the popsicles you used to enjoy as a child? Bring back this classic treat as a delicious way to rehydrate. Blend a hydrating ingredient like watermelon and fill Popsicle molds and freeze for 1 hour.
What’s your best tip for staying hydrated???
Have a blessed day!