Get creative with your cauliflower rice! These comfort-food-inspired recipes will earn rave reviews… Yumminess from Hungry Girl...
First up is: Sloppy Jane Stuffed Peppers. Sloppy joes are yummy… but why let bread have all the fun? Enter peppers! Add cauliflower rice, and prepare to be wowed.
1/4th of recipe (1 stuffed pepper half): 278 calories, 5.5g total fat (2g sat fat), 423mg sodium, 28.5g carbs, 7g fiber, 18g sugars, 28.5g protein. SmartPoints® value 4*.
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 30 minutes MAKES 4 SERVINGS
4 large red bell peppers (look for peppers that sit flat when stem ends are up)
2 1/2 cups roughly chopped cauliflower or 1 3/4 cups cauliflower rice
1 1/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. molasses
1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
1 lb. raw extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less)
1 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully slice off and discard stem ends of bell peppers, about half an inch from the top. Remove and discard seeds. Place peppers cut-side up in a deep 8″ X 8″ baking pan. If they don’t sit flat, gently lean them against the pan sides.
- Bake until soft, 25 – 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if starting with roughly chopped cauliflower, pulse in a blender until reduced to rice-sized pieces, working in batches as needed.
- In a medium bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, honey, red wine vinegar, molasses, and 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Mix until uniform.
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add beef, and sprinkle with remaining 1/8 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Cook and crumble for 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add cauliflower rice and onion. Cook and stir until beef is fully cooked and veggies have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add tomato mixture, and cook and stir until hot, about 3 minutes.
- Blot away excess moisture from bell peppers. Evenly distribute filling among the peppers.
BONUS recipe: Cheesy Broccoli Cauli’ Rice. Why do broccoli and cheese pair so well together? We can’t explain the secrets of the universe, but we can give you a great recipe featuring the combo plus cauliflower rice.
1/4th of recipe (about 1 1/4 cups): 144 calories, 6g total fat (3g sat fat), 416mg sodium, 17g carbs, 5g fiber, 6g sugars, 8g protein. SmartPoints® value 3*
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 15 minutes MAKES 4 SERVINGS
5 cups roughly chopped cauliflower or 4 cups cauliflower rice
1 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 tsp. chopped garlic
3 cups roughly chopped broccoli
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup light/reduced-fat cream cheese
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
- If starting with roughly chopped cauliflower, pulse in a blender until reduced to rice-sized pieces, working in batches as needed.
- In an extra-large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until onion has slightly softened and garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in cauliflower rice, broccoli, and broth. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, uncovering occasionally to stir, or until veggies have softened and broth has evaporated.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add all remaining ingredients, and cook and stir until cheeses have melted and mixture is uniform, about 2 minutes.
Share your favorite recipe with us….. Have a ThirtyOne-derful day!